How to claim

Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit. Most people will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Check if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit before you apply.

You can either apply:

You’ll need to provide evidence to support your Housing Benefit claim.

If you’re applying for Pension Credit

You can apply for Housing Benefit as part of your Pension Credit application.

Apply for Pension Credit online or contact the Pension Service to claim.

The Pension Service will send details of your claim for Housing Benefit to your council.

Pension Service
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 99 1234
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Claiming in advance and backdating

You can claim in advance by up to 13 weeks (or 17 weeks if you’re aged 60 or over), for example if you’re moving. You will not usually get any money before you move.

You might also be able to get your claim backdated - ask your council.

Appeal a decision

You can ask your council for a Housing Benefit decision to be reconsidered.

If you’re unhappy with the response you can appeal the decision.