Supporting your claim

You’ll need to provide some information and evidence to support your claim for Housing Benefit.

You’ll get Housing Benefit faster if you have this available when you make your claim.

You’ll need to know:

  • how much rent you pay
  • whether anything else is included in the rent, such as water, gas or electricity charges
  • if you pay any service charges, including building maintenance or insurance
  • your landlord or agent’s details

Special types of tenancy

If your current tenancy started in 1997 or earlier and you rent from a private landlord, you’ll need to know if you have an ‘assured tenancy’. You can check your tenancy on the Shelter website.

If you live in government property, for example because you’re in the armed forces, you’ll need to know if you have a Crown Tenancy.

Evidence you’ll have to provide

You’ll need to provide original documents, not copies. The supporting evidence you’ll need includes:

  • your most recent payslips (5 if paid weekly, or 2 if paid monthly)
  • bank or building society statements for the last 2 full months
  • proof of other income or investments, including shares, ISAs or Premium Bonds
  • proof of income for any non-dependants living with you, such as adult relatives or friends

If you’re working or claiming contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you’ll also need proof of your partner’s name and address. You cannot use the same document to prove both their name and address.

Provide any 2 of the following:

  • UK photocard driving licence
  • current passport
  • birth or marriage certificate
  • biometric residence permit
  • certificate of registration or naturalisation
  • permanent residence card
  • letter from HMRC or the Home Office
  • recent utility bill
  • recent bank or building society statement
  • recent benefit award statements

If you rent from a private landlord

You’ll also need to provide one of the following:

  • a tenancy agreement or rent book
  • a letter from your landlord confirming your tenancy - this is usually supplied at the start of your tenancy
  • proof of rent paid, such as a rent book, rent receipts or a bank statement