Housing Benefit

Further information

Extra help to pay the rent

You may also get extra help from your council called a ‘discretionary housing payment’ if your Housing Benefit does not cover your rent.

Help with heating costs

Check what help you can get with heating and energy costs.

If your benefits stop

Some benefits stop if you go back to work, work more hours or earn more money.

If this happens, you could get an extra 4 weeks of Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent. This is called Extended Payment of Housing Benefit. If you’re eligible your council will contact you. You must have received certain benefits continuously for at least 26 weeks right up to the time when you went back work.

Once your extended payment ends, you might get ‘in-work Housing Benefit’.

You do not have to claim - your council will decide if you’re eligible for help and write to let you know.