National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership (NPQML)
Develop the skills, knowledge and confidence that you need to lead a high-performing team in a school and to improve classroom practice.
Who can apply
You should be a middle leader in a school with the responsibility of leading a team, for example:
- a key stage leader
- a curriculum area leader
- a pastoral services leader
- a subject leader
- a head of department
Apply with one of the schools or organisations licensed to offer this qualification that matches your needs. Visit their website to find out how the qualification is structured and when it starts. You can contact your preferred licensee to discuss your requirements in more detail.
The normal duration of study is 12 months. Depending on your experience and other commitments, you could complete in 6 months or it may take a maximum of 18 months.
You’ll need to complete 2 essential modules, 1 further module of your choice and a final assessment.
Each module requires up to 50 hours of learning, including:
- around 20 hours of practical learning in your school
- face-to-face peer and facilitated learning
- reading and reflection
- online learning
You must complete both of the following modules.
Learn how to develop, improve and sustain high-quality teaching within a team and identify strategies to help close gaps in attainment. As part of this module, you’ll learn:
- the principles, models and practice of effective teaching and learning
- how to identify outstanding teaching and learning
- leadership strategies to influence and improve the quality of teaching
- leadership and management strategies for achieving high standards of pupil behaviour
- how to analyse and use performance data
- how to achieve and maintain high-quality subject specialisms within the team
Managing systems and processes
Learn how to implement whole-school policies with your team in a systematic and consistent way. As part of this module, you’ll learn about:
- the principles, theories and models of leadership
- effective management structures, systems and processes
- managing resources, including financial management
- how to manage teacher appraisals and staff performance
- behaviour management and pupil attendance
- health and safety legislation, including child protection
Further study modules
You need to complete 1 of the following modules as well.
- Effective leadership of special educational needs provision
- Leading and developing staff
- Leading an effective team
- Leading change for improvement
- Succeeding in middle leadership
Find out more about what you’ll cover in these study modules.
The final assessment is a task drawn from work on a school improvement priority where you lead at team level for an extended period. You’ll need to show that you can:
- make successful and sustainable improvement in your school
- use the experience to reflect upon and improve your own leadership skills
Costs vary between licensees. Licensees will be able to provide full details of their costs, but, as a guide, the cost of NPQML is £1,050.
You’ll also need to pay £225 for your final assessment if you apply from:
- an independent or non-maintained school
- a school outside England
Many of our licensees offer group discounts and various packages – contact your chosen licensee to find out more.
You may be exempt from some study modules if you’ve:
- completed one of our leadership development programmes
- undertaken a Master’s or another type of postgraduate course
Convert your study to credits for a Master’s degree
You can use your NPQML qualification to contribute towards a Master’s degree. Read our Master’s-level accreditation guidance.
Contact form https://www.gov.uk/gov...
Contact a local school or organisation licensed to offer our national qualifications and modules.