Undergraduates and postgraduates can get help with the costs of their teacher training.

You can get student finance for the following full or part-time teacher training courses if you’re an undergraduate or postgraduate:

  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
  • Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)

Funding your course

You can apply for student finance. You’ll get the same level of student loans, grants and bursaries as other students.

Extra help

You may be eligible for a training bursary from the National College for Teaching and Leadership if you’re a postgraduate. How much you get depends on your teaching subject and degree class.

If you’re a postgraduate who started their course before 1 August 2011 can apply for a ‘golden hello’ (a one off payment of up to £5,000).