1. Overview

The main student finance package includes a:

The rules are different if you became a student before 1 September 2012.

Tuition Fee Loans pay for your course. Maintenance Loans and Grants help with living costs (eg accommodation, books, bills). You have to pay back loans but not grants.

You might get extra help on top of this.

You apply for student finance every year. You don’t need a confirmed place at university or college to apply.

How to apply or support an application

Find out how to apply for student finance.

If you’re the parent or partner of a student you’ll normally need to support a student finance application.

There’s a different process if you’re a student from:

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.