Student finance: how to apply

How to apply

New students from England

Most full-time and part-time students can apply online to Student Finance England.

  1. Set up a student finance online account.

  2. Log in and complete the online application.

  3. Include your household income if needed. Your parent or partner will be asked to confirm these details.

  4. Send in proof of identity, if needed.

If you cannot apply online, use the form finder to get the forms you need. You can call Student Finance England if you want to apply online but you cannot use a computer without help.

Continuing students from England

You’re a ‘continuing student’ if you got finance last year. Log in to your student finance account and apply online.

There’s a different process if you became a part-time student before 1 September 2012.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

There’s a different process for students from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

New EU students

  1. Download an application pack - use the form finder to get the forms you need.

  2. Send in proof of identity, if needed.

  3. You’ll get a letter confirming how much you’ll get, usually within 6 weeks.

Continuing EU students

If you’re a continuing student you’ll be sent the application forms.

  1. Step 1 Check if you're eligible

  2. Step 2 Find out how much loan you could get

    Find out the maximum tuition fee and maintenance loan you could get if you're a:

    How much maintenance loan you get depends on where you'll study and your household income.

    1. Use the student finance calculator to estimate your maintenance loan

    You'll have to pay back any loan you get.

    1. Find out how much you'll repay
    2. Find out when you'll start repaying
  3. and Check if you can get extra help

  4. Step 3 Prepare your application

  5. Step 4 Apply

    1. Apply online

    You'll need to create a student finance account if you're a new student or sign into an existing account if you're a returning student.

    It can take up to 6 weeks to process your application. You might have to provide extra evidence.

  6. Step 5 Update your details if your circumstances change

    You must update your application if your circumstances change. For example if you:

    • change your course through clearing
    • change where you're going to live - for example with your parents instead of halls
    1. Find out how to update your application
  7. Step 6 Make sure you can be paid

    After you register at your university or college you'll usually get your maintenance loan paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term.

    Use your student finance account to:

    • update your bank details - for example if you open a student account
    • check how much you'll be paid
    • check when you'll be paid
    1. Sign in to your student finance account
  8. Step 7 Check what to do while you're studying

    You'll need to reapply for student finance for each year of your course.

    You must keep your details up to date throughout your course because some changes can affect your loan payments, for example if your household income or bank details change.

    1. Check how to update your details
    2. Find out what to do if you suspend or leave your course
  9. Step 8 Repay your loan