5. Household income

Your household income is made up of your income plus that of the people who live with you, for example:

  • your parents
  • your parent and their partner
  • your partner

You must provide details of your household income if you apply for any of the following:

  • full Maintenance Loan
  • Maintenance Grant
  • Special Support Grant
  • Childcare Grant
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant

What income is assessed

Your parents’ income is assessed if you’re under 25 and depend on them financially. Your partner’s income is assessed if you’re over 25 and living with them.

Earned and unearned income (eg benefits, pension or investments) for a certain tax year will be assessed. The tax year chosen will depend on the academic year you’re applying for.

Academic year Tax year assessed
2015 to 2016 Tax year 2013 to 2014
2014 to 2015 Tax year 2012 to 2013

Change the tax year that’s assessed

If your household income is expected to drop by 15% or more, you can ask for income details for the current tax year to be assessed instead. To do this, send a ‘CYI - current tax year income form’.

Academic year Form
2015 to 2016 CYI - current tax year income assessment form (PDF, 589KB)
2014 to 2015 CYI - current tax year income assessment form (PDF, 522KB)

Student Finance England

PO Box 210