Living in Sudan

Advice for British people living in Sudan, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


As a general rule, GP facilities in Khartoum are adequate but the hospitals are not suitable for more serious medical problems. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad, medical evacuation and repatriation.

You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment. Hospitals in Khartoum:

  • Fedail Hospital - 0183766661 or 0183741426 (press #236 for English) or 0912314621. For Fedail Hospital ambulance call 0122222555)
  • Royal Care Hospital - 0156550150/51
  • Sahiroon Hospital - 011265316 or 0183279601 ext 222
  • Al Zaytouna Hospital - 0183745444/999
  • Doctors Clinic - 0183481764 ext 118


Education options for British Nationals in Sudan are limited. There are state run schools but these are for Sudanese Citizens. A few good quality fee paying private schools operate. The British Council delivers English language training.

Useful websites:

Employment and recognised qualifications

All Non-Sudanese Citizens require a permit to work in Sudan. This should normally be arranged by the employer/sponsor in Sudan at the Ministry of the Interior. After arrival your company/sponsor should apply for residency and a multiple-entry permit at the Ministry of the Interior.

Useful websites:

Entry and residence requirements

British nationals need a visa to visit Sudan. Apply before you travel to the Sudanese Embassy in London.

You should register with the Aliens Department at the Ministry of Interior within 3 days of your arrival in the country. You will need two passport size photos. The fee is the Sudanese Pound equivalent of around £35. If you don’t register within 3 days of arrival, you may be fined and you will need to get an exit visa at the airport to leave the country.

If your passport has an Israeli visa or Israeli entry/exit stamps you will not be allowed to enter Sudan.

Yellow Fever vaccination is required for travellers arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Sudan.

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are not valid for entry into or transit through the Republic of Sudan. However, ETDs are accepted for exit from the country.

You must get a permit before travelling outside of Khartoum.

Useful websites:


There is no benefits system in Sudan.

Driving licences and vehicles

To drive in Sudan you will require either a local or an International driving licence. A local driving licence can be obtained by your sponsor/company from the Ministry of Interior after residency has been granted (NB. you cannot obtain a local driving licence on a visit visa). International driving licences need to be authenticated by the Ministry of the Interior prior to use in Sudan.

Useful websites:

Finance It is not possible to withdraw cash against credit cards at banks. Credit cards are not accepted at hotels to settle bills. Make sure you have enough hard currency with you, preferably in US dollars dated 2006 onwards (older ones will not be exchanged). Guidance on bringing medication into Sudan Travellers may bring in medication for personal use. You should ensure it is clearly labelled. For further details contact the Sudan Embassy in the UK Useful websites:

Social ethics and traditions

Sudan has a majority Sudanese Arab population (around 70%), with a diverse minority including Fur, Beja, Nuba and Fallata. The majority religion is Islam (over 97%) and there is a small Christian minority.

Arabic and English are the official languages.


You should follow the advice of the Sudanese government and your local authority. You can also read Sudan travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Sudan, see our coronavirus travel advice.

Returning to the UK

You should have registered with the Aliens Department at the Ministry of Interior within 3 days of your arrival in the country. If you haven’t registered within 3 days of arrival, you may be fined and you will need to get an exit visa at the airport to leave the country.

Spouses and children of Sudanese citizens are generally required by authorities to provide evidence that the Sudanese spouse/parent has consented to their departure when applying for an exit visa. Sudanese (and dual Sudanese/British National) children under 13 years of age cannot leave Sudan without written approval from their father, even when the child is travelling with his/her mother. Visit the Sudan Embassy in the UK website for the most current information.

Useful websites:


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 31 December 2013