Get help if you're a victim of crime abroad

Find the nearest British embassy, commission or consulate to get help if you’re the victim of crime abroad.

In most countries, you must report the crime before you leave the country if you want it to be investigated. You might need to report the crime to make a claim on your travel insurance.

You must report a lost or stolen passport as soon as possible.

How the embassy, commission or consulate can help

You can get help to:

  • understand local police and legal procedures
  • find an English-speaking lawyer or translator
  • find medical treatment or an English-speaking doctor
  • contact your relatives and friends to let them know something has happened to you

They won’t be able to:

  • give you legal advice
  • collect evidence or investigate crimes
  • influence the outcome of any trial
  • give you financial help, eg for travel costs to a trial abroad or to replace stolen property
  • accept any lost or recovered stolen property, except for passports (which are cancelled and returned to HM Passport Office) and driving licences (which are returned to DVLA)

You may be able to claim compensation if you’re the victim of crime abroad.

Rape and sexual assault

You can also get specific help if you’ve been the victim of rape or sexual assault abroad.

It’s your choice to report a rape or sexual assault to the local police, but doing so quickly can help with any investigation or gathering evidence.

The British embassy, commission or consulate will support you and help you to:

  • arrange for someone to accompany you to a local police station
  • arrange a medical examination or find an English-speaking doctor
  • get advice on sexually transmitted infections, abortions and pregnancy, according to local laws and customs
  • get advice, professional help or counselling - both abroad and in the UK

They will deal with your situation in a sensitive, confidential and non-judgemental way. You can ask to deal with a male or female member of staff, whichever you prefer, at any time.

Support organisations

You can get confidential help and advice about rape or sexual assault from: