Get free help and advice if you’ve been a victim of crime.

Victim support

Victim Support is a charity that offers:

  • emotional support, eg coping with the after-effects of crime
  • practical help, eg getting locks changed or help filling in forms for insurance and compensation
  • advice on dealing with the police
  • information and support if you go to court as a witness

Victim Support
Telephone: 0845 30 30 900
Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 7pm
Bank holidays, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You can also find victim services in your area that can help you.

Join the Victim Contact Scheme

You can join the Victim Contact Scheme (VCS) if you’re the victim of a violent or sexual crime and the offender is sentenced to 12 months or more.

Joining the VCS means you’ll be:

You’ll be given the option of joining the scheme when you report the crime.

Read the code of practice for victims of crime to find out what you’re entitled to.

Take part in a restorative justice scheme

Contact your local victim support organisation, police force, or probation officer if you’d like to:

  • meet the offender involved
  • talk about how your life has been affected
  • get answers to your questions and an apology

This kind of meeting is sometimes called ‘restorative justice’.

If you’re contacted by a prisoner

Contact the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) Victim Helpline if you get unwanted letters, phone calls, texts or messages from a prisoner.

You can also contact the helpline if you’re worried about someone being released from prison.

NOMS Victim Helpline
Telephone: 0845 7585 112
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm
Find out about call charges