Going to court as a victim or witness

Help getting to the court

You’re a victim or prosecution witness

If you’re a victim of crime or a witness for the prosecution, a witness care officer will let you know the date of the trial.

Ask the witness care officer for any help you need going to court, for example with childcare or transport.

You can also ask them if you’d like to visit the court before the trial, so you know what to expect on the day

Witness care officers work for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service.

Contact the court if you need special help in the courtroom - for example if you’re disabled.

There’s different support if you’re going to court as a prosecution witness in Scotland.

You’re a defence witness

If you’re a witness for the defence, the defence lawyer will let you know when you have to go to court. They may also help you get to court.

Tell your witness care officer or the defence lawyer straight away if you cannot make the date of the trial.