Compensation if you're a victim of crime abroad

You can usually apply for compensation if you’re a UK resident and have been injured because of a violent crime in another country.

The rules are different depending on whether the crime happened in an EU country or one outside the EU.

If the crime happened in an EU country

Contact the EU Compensation Assistance Team to apply for compensation.

EU Compensation Assistance Team
0300 003 3601
Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm
Find out about call charges

If the crime happened in a country outside the EU

Not all countries outside the EU have a compensation scheme. You have to apply directly to the country where the crime happened.

Contact the British embassy, high commission or consulate for help.