Living in Fiji

Advice for British people living in Fiji, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Fiji, including advice on health, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals. This information supplements the travel advice for Fiji.


You should follow the advice of the Fijian government and your local authority. You can also read Fiji travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Fiji, see our coronavirus travel advice.


The availability of medical care varies across Viti Levu and Vanua Levu and may not meet the standards of care in the UK. Although adequate in some areas, medical care is limited in more remote areas. Treatment can be very expensive. Make sure you have comprehensive travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation to the UK. Make sure that your insurance policy provides for the following:

  • an air ambulance, in case you need to be flown home
  • full medical cover (bills can be very expensive)
  • repatriation in the event of a death
  • bringing your family to Fiji in the event of your illness or injury

If you are hospitalised in Fiji, the British High Commission can contact the hospital to check on your progress, and visit you within 24 hours of notification of your hospitalisation. We can also contact your family or friends in the UK through the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London.

If you are suffering from mental illness, we will do our best to help you find the appropriate support and advice wherever you are.

If you need emergency medical assistance dial 911 for an ambulance.


The Fijian government, through the Ministry of Education,National Heritage, Culture and Arts, provides free education at public schools for Fijian citizens up to the age of 18.

Employment and recognised qualifications

All foreign nationals wishing to work and live in Fiji are required to have a relevant work permit issued by the Fijian Immigration. Using a visa with the wrong category for working in Fiji, or overstaying your visa, can lead to prosecution, potentially resulting in detention and deportation at your own expense.

Entry and residence requirements

Visas are not required for visits to Fiji of up to 4 months. You must have an onward or return ticket and a valid visa for the next country you are travelling to. If you are visiting Fiji on business you will be granted a stay for 14 days on arrival.

If you plan to stay for longer than 4 months, you will need to apply for a visa from the Fiji High Commission in London.

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Fiji.

Yachts can only enter Fiji through Suva, Lautoka, Savusavu and Levuka.

You no longer need to register with the British High Commission Suva if you are staying in Fiji. Please read and subscribe to email updates on our Travel Advice. You can also stay in touch with us on Facebook.

Dual citizenship

If you are a British national and you wish to apply for Fijian citizenship, please contact the Department of Immigration in Fiji. Fiji Immigration 969 Rodwell Road Suva. Telephone: +679 312622


You may be entitled to claim some UK benefits and state pension while living abroad. If you are moving to Fiji, you should tell the relevant UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pensions and tax that you are moving or retiring abroad.

Driving licences and vehicles

It is not necessary to swap your British driving licence for a short stay but if you live in Fiji you must visit the Land Transport Authority for a local driving licence.

UK State pension life certificates

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has changed their policy on who can now sign a life certificate. This is now the same as the list of people who can countersign a passport photograph. Please read the DWP’s guide on getting a state pension if you retire abroad.

Guidance on bringing medication into Fiji

Penalties for importing and using illegal drugs are severe. Remember to bring your prescription from your doctor or hospital if you are using prescription medicine.

Leaving Fiji

If you live in Fiji and are considering returning to live in the UK, you should consider how you will support yourself and how non-British members of your family may be able to accompany you. There is information available to help you make informed choices about living abroad and thinking about returning to the UK.

National Insurance

If you have not made full National Insurance (NI) contributions, remember you may not be eligible for state benefits or support. HM Revenue & Customs provide some useful information on returning to live in the UK for non-residents, including how to make NI contributions from abroad.


Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality. You must be able to show UK residency to be eligible for free treatment, even if you are a British citizen. The Citizens’ Advice Bureau or NHS can provide further information.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 22 January 2014
Last updated 18 March 2021 + show all updates
  1. Coronavirus section added with a link to guidance on vaccines.

  2. The latest updates for British nationals residing in Fiji.

  3. First published.