Living in Fiji

How to access the essential information you need when living in Fiji as a British national.


Our Consular staff look after the interest of all British nationals living in (or visiting) Fiji. This guide sets out information about the range of services and advice we can offer.

How we can help

What we can do for you:

  • Issue emergency travel document if you are eligible

  • Provide information about transferring funds

  • Provide appropriate help if you are a victim of crime, need medical help or are in hospital

  • Provide details of local lawyers, doctors and funeral directors

  • Do all we properly can to contact you as soon as possible after being told that you are detained

  • Offer support and help in a range of other cases such as international child abduction, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping

  • Provide information for you to get married in Fiji

What we cannot do for you:

  • Provide notarial or documentary services

  • Get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings

  • Help you enter a country, for example if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures

  • Give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as a lawyers listing

  • Get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

  • Pay an bills or give you money

  • Make travel arrangements for you, or find work or accommodation

  • Make business arrangements on your behalf

Contact Us

Consular Section

Address: British High Commission, 47 Gladstone Road

Telephone: +679 3229100

Fax: +679 3229132

To book an appointment for consular service, please email

Out-of-hours emergency assistance

British nationals who need urgent consular assistance outside normal office hours should call +679 3229100 and follow the prompts.To get the latest Travel Advice please click here.

Registering your presence with the High Commission

You no longer need to register with us. Please read and subscribe to email updates on our Travel Advice. Please also to stay in touch with us on Facebook.

Wardens network

The British High Commission organises a network of British community wardens in Fiji. Wardens are volunteers who act as a link between the British High Commission and the British community where they live and work. The roles of the wardens are:

  • To quickly and efficiently disseminate important information about safety and security to British nationals in their areas

  • To assist the consular section in keeping regular contacts with the British community

  • To assist the consular section during a crisis by reporting the local conditions and passing on details of affected British nationals to the High Commission

Guides we produce

Support for British nationals abroad: a guide

Our publication that sets out the steps the British nationals can take to stay safe abroad, and provides details on what help the Foreign & Commonwealth Office can provide if you do get into difficulty.

Passport application

This outlines the requirements and procedures for first time and renewals of British passport application.

Emergency Travel Document

This provides information on how to apply for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for urgent travel. You may also visit GOV.UK for more details.

Registering a birth

This provides information on how to register a birth overseas. You may also want to visit GOV.UK for more details.

Registering a death This provides information on how to register a death overseas. You may also want to visit GOV.UK for more details.

List of lawyers

Prisoner pack

Information on the legal and prison system to the British nationals who are imprisoned.

Consular fees

List of charges for some services we provide at the High Commission. Payment should be made in cash or banker’s cheque payable to the British High Commission.

Fiji visa

Visas are not required for visits of up to 4 months. You must have an onward or return ticket and a valid visa for the next country you are travelling to. If you are visiting Fiji on business you will be granted a stay for 14 days on arrival.

If you plan to stay for longer than 4 months, you will need to apply for a visa from the Fiji High Commission in London. Yachts can only enter Fiji through Suva, Lautoka, Savusavu and Levuka.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Fiji.

UK Police clearance certificate or records

The UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998.

  • If you are a British national and need a Police Certificate please go to:

Postal address:

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers)

PO Box 481


PO14 9FS

United Kingdom

International callers from outside of the UK should call +44 1962 871111 during office opening hours (UK times) 8:30-16:30 Monday to Friday or via email to:

  • If you used to work in the UK and need a criminal record check for employment purposes please go to:

The government agency called Disclosure Scotland covers the UK, not just Scotland.

Unfortunately the online application system for a Basic Disclosure is not available to people outside the UK and you can’t download an application form, so you’ll need to contact them for a hard copy application form.

Telephone: +44 870 609 6006 or email:

By UK law, the subject access application must be processed and the results issued within 40 days of receiving the application. You can obtain more information the National Identification Service.

National Identification Service

Address: Subject Access Office Rm 350 New Scotland Yard Broadway London SW1H 0BG

Telephone: 00 44 (0) 207 230 2958

Fax: 00 44 (0) 207 230 2688

For enquiries regarding specialist security clearances please contact the Home Office directly.

British Citizenship

The British High Commission no longer handles application for renunciation, naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Border Agency.

UK Border Agency

Address: Department 1, The Capital, Hew Hall Place, Liverpool L3 9PP


Duplicate HO certificate

If you have been granted British citizenship through naturalisation or registration and you want to apply for a duplicate certificate, please apply to the Home Office

Home Office

Address: Nationality, Department 17, 4th Floor, The Capital Building, Liverpool, L3 9PP

To check if you can apply for British citizenship, please visit GOV.UK.

Dual citizenship

If you are a British national and you wish to apply for Fijian citizenship, please contact the Department of Immigration in Fiji.

Fiji Immigration

Address: 969 Rodwell Road, Suva.

Telephone: +679 312622


The availability of medical care varies across Viti Levu and Vanua Levu and may not meet the standards of care in the UK. Although adequate in some areas, medical care is limited in more remote areas. Treatment can be very expensive. Make sure you have comprehensive travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation to the UK. Make sure that your insurance policy provides for the following:

  • An air ambulance, in case you need to be flown home

  • Full medical cover (bills can be very expensive)

  • Repatriation in the event of a death

  • Bringing your family to Fiji in the event of your illness or injury

If you are hospitalised in Fiji, the British High Commission can contact the hospital to check on your progress, and visit you within 24 hours of notification of your hospitalisation. We can also contact your family or friends in the UK through the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London.

If you are suffering from mental illness, we will do our best to help you find the appropriate support and advice wherever you are.


Do not get involved with drugs. Penalties for importing and using illegal drugs are severe. Remember to bring your prescription from your doctor or hospital if you are using prescription medicine.

Do not carry anything through Customs for someone else unless you know exactly what it contains.

State pensions

You can claim your basic UK State Pension abroad. For more information please contact the International Pension Centre. Visit the GOV.UK website.

International Pension Centre

Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8am – 8pm

Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777

Fax: +44 (0) 191 218 7280


Life certificate

A “life certificate” is a form the Department for Work & Pensions might send you to check if you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

If you get one, you’ll need to get it signed by a ‘witness’ and send it back as instructed on the form. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t respond.

Check the list of people who can witness a life certificate. This is now the same as the list of people who can countersign a passport photo – though they don’t need to live in the UK or have a British or Irish passport. The British High Commission do not perform this service.

Returning to the UK

If you live in Fiji and are considering returning to live in the UK, you should consider how you will support yourself and how non-British members of your family may be able to accompany you. There is information available to help you make informed choices about living abroad and thinking about returning to the UK.

National Insurance

If you have not made full National Insurance (NI) contributions, remember you may not be eligible for state benefits or support. HM Revenue & Customs provide some useful information on returning to live in the UK for non-residents, including how to make NI contributions from abroad.


Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality. You must be able to show UK residency to be eligible for free treatment, even if you are a British Citizen. The Citizens’ Advice Bureau or NHS can provide further information.


The information contained in this notes is intended for your general guidance only. While care has been taken in compiling these notes, the accuracy of the information cannot be guaranteed and, of course, law and procedures may change from time to time. For these reasons, neither Her Majesty’s Government nor any member of British High Commission staff can accept liability for any costs, damage or expenses which you might incur as a result of relying on these notes.

Published 1 November 2013