The work of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD)
The VMD makes sure that veterinary medicines work and are safe for your animal and the people that use them.
Ref: Information Leaflet No.1 PDF, 313KB, 2 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This is an information leaflet that can be printed out for use by the general public, veterinary or other professional audiences related to animal medicines.
It is an introduction into the work of the VMD who:
- are the regulatory authority that a pharmaceutical company has to apply to so they can sell their medicines
- monitor reports of side effects (adverse events) to veterinary medicines
- enforce rules relating to veterinary medicines regulations
- monitor foodstuffs for traces of veterinary medicines (residues)
- inspect premises where medicines are made, stored and supplied from