Complaints procedure

How to complain about the Veterinary Medicines Directorate's services.

We can help with complaints about our service, the way we operate, or how an application for a marketing authorisations has been handled.

We can’t help with concerns about a veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) set the standards for and hold Registers of those vets and veterinary nurses who are qualified to practise, set professional standards for vets and veterinary nurses and help practices raise their standards through their Practice Standards Scheme.

The RCVS can only deal with the most serious concerns that relate to a veterinary surgeons professional conduct.

This includes:

  • Very poor professional performance where there are serious departures from the standards set out in the RCVS Code of Professional Conduct
  • Fraud or dishonesty
  • Criminal convictions or cautions
  • Physical or mental health problems affecting ability to work

The Veterinary Client Mediation Service can help to deal with concerns related to:

  • the service you have received from a veterinary practice
  • the fees you have been charged
  • negligence

The VCMS may also be able to help you if you are seeking:

  • an apology
  • a refund
  • corrective/further treatment
  • a goodwill payment

How to complain about how the VMD has handled its regulatory work

You should complain to the member of staff in the Veterinary Medicines Directorate you have been dealing with. If this is not possible, email us at

To complain about:

  • the way an application for a marketing authorisation assessment has been handled
  • our regulation of post-authorisation services, for example an Inspection
  • any of our Business Support services, such as our IT services or our GOV.UK site

What happens next

We will investigate your complaint and send you a full reply within 15 working days. If this is not possible, we will let you know why and tell you when you can expect a full response.

If you’re still not satisfied

If you are still not satisfied, you can ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.