Professor Peter Borriello was Chief Executive, Veterinary Laboratories Agency from 2008 until April 2011 when it merged with the Animal Health agency. He was appointed Chief Executive Officer, Veterinary Medicines Directorate in September 2011.
His previous roles include:
- Director, Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections
- Director, Public Health Laboratory Service, Central Public Health Laboratory
- Founding Director, Institute of Infections and Immunity, University of Nottingham
- Head, Medical Research Council Hospital Infection Group and Microbial Pathogenicity Research Group
Chief Executive Officer, VMD
The Chief Executive Officer, VMD provides support and advice to Defra Ministers, the Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Veterinary Officer where the regulation of veterinary medicines contributes to policy in respect of animal health and welfare. They’re supported by the Director of Authorisations and the Director of Operations.
- the effective implementation of clear operational standards and measures
- full cost recovery of VMD operations
- that targets are met