If you need a letter confirming your National Insurance number you can:
- log in to your Personal Tax Account to print a copy - do this if you’ve already set up your Personal Tax Account
- set up your Personal Tax Account to log in and print a copy - do this if you know your National Insurance number
- fill in the online form and post it to us - do this if you haven’t set up your Personal Tax Account and don’t know your National Insurance number
You can also find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60, tax returns or official letters about tax, pensions or benefits.
Webchat is unavailable at the moment because of technical problems.
Call to get advice if:
- you’re between 15 years and 9 months and 20 years old and haven’t received a National Insurance number
- you’ve lost or can’t remember your National Insurance number
- you need a letter confirming your National Insurance number
HMRC won’t tell you your National Insurance number over the phone. They’ll post it to you and it’ll arrive within 10 working days.
Apply for a National Insurance number if you’re over 20 years old and haven’t got one.
0300 200 3500
0300 200 3519
+44 191 203 7010
8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.