If you’ve lost or forgotten your National Insurance number, or need a letter confirming it, you can:
- register for or log in to your personal tax account to view or download, print, save or share a letter with it on
- fill in the online form and post it to us, if you’re unable to register for a personal tax account
You can also find your National Insurance number on:
- your payslip
- your P60
- your tax returns
- official letters about tax, pensions or benefits
Speak to an adviser online about National Insurance number queries.
Call to get advice if:
- you’re between 15 years and 9 months and 20 years old and have not received a National Insurance number
- you cannot register for a new personal tax account to view your National Insurance number or print the confirmation letter.
- you’re over 20 years old and have not got a National Insurance number Apply for a National Insurance number
HMRC will not tell you your National Insurance number over the phone. They’ll post it to you and it’ll arrive within 15 working days.
0300 200 3500
0300 200 3519
+44 191 203 7010
Our phone line opening hours are temporarily changing to:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm
This is due to having fewer advisers available to answer calls because of the measures put in place to stop the spread of coronavirus.
If your call is not urgent please use webchat to contact us.
You can also find out information in: