If you’ve lost or forgotten your National Insurance number, or need a letter confirming it, you can:
- register for or log in to your personal tax account to view or download, print, save or share a letter with it on
- fill in the online form and post it to us, if you’re unable to register for a personal tax account
You can also find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60, tax returns or official letters about tax, pensions or benefits.
Webchat is unavailable at the moment because of technical problems.
Call to get advice if:
- you’re over 15 years and 9 months and 20 years old and haven’t received a National Insurance number
- you cannot register for a new personal tax account to view your National Insurance number or print the confirmation letter.
- you’re over 20 years old and haven’t got a National Insurance number Apply for a National Insurance number
HMRC won’t tell you your National Insurance number over the phone. They’ll post it to you and it’ll arrive within 15 working days.
0300 200 3500
0300 200 3519
+44 191 203 7010
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Closed Sundays and bank holidays.