Research at GO-Science
We carry out and commission research on a wide range of subjects which have implications for government policy.
Our research programme aims to help government make policies and decisions that are informed by the best scientific evidence and strategic long-term thinking.
For more information, see our work plan for 2015 to 2020.
Each year we produce a themed annual report that reflects the priorities of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser.
- From waste to resource productivity (forthcoming)
- Forensic science and beyond: authenticity, provenance and assurance
- Innovation: managing risk, not avoiding it
Blackett reviews are short 6 to 12 month studies which answer specific scientific or technical questions.
- Quantum technologies review
- Distributed ledger technology review
- Financial technology (FinTech) review
- Internet of things review
- Wide-area biological detection review
- High impact low probability risks review
Foresight projects are in-depth studies looking at major issues 20 to 80 years in the future.
- Future of an ageing population
- Future of cities
- Future of manufacturing
- Future of identity
- Reducing risk of future disasters
- Technology and innovation futures
- Future of computer trading
- Migration and global environmental change
- Climate change: international dimensions
- Global food and farming futures
- Land use futures
- World trade: possible futures
- Powering our lives
- Mental capital and wellbeing
- Tackling obesities: future choices
- Detection and identification of infectious diseases
- Intelligent infrastructure systems
- Brain science, addiction and drugs
- Cyber trust and crime prevention
- Exploiting the electromagnetic spectrum
- Future of flood and coastal defence
- Cognitive systems
View the final project reports.
We also carry out occasional research on subjects such as animal and plant health and technology futures, and produce one-off reports on emerging issues.
A full list of our research can be found on our publications page.
Search our reports
Our research can be searched by keyword and date of publication.