Advice for fans travelling to St Petersburg for Liverpool's Europa League Round of 32 match with FC Zenit on 14 February.
Passports, Visas and Health Insurance
- British citizens need a visa to travel to Russia, and your passport should be valid for a further three months after your Russian visa expiration date
- Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not valid in Russia, so travel/health insurance is essential, even if you’re only going for one night - it could save you a lot of money if you find yourself in difficulty.
- It is essential you carry some kind of photo ID with you. Local police have advised us that a photocopy of your passport will be sufficient. The passport itself can be left in a secure place, i.e. in a safe at your hotel.
- If you lose your passport or have it stolen, you should report the loss to the local police as soon as possible in the first instance and obtain a police report or confirmation of loss from the police. The British Consulate General can then provide you with an emergency travel document (ETD) and facilitate your exit visa so that you can leave Russia and return home.
Getting to the stadium
- Petrovsky Stadiaum – the nearest Metro station is SPORTIVNAYA/ СПОРТИВНАЯ (Purple Line).
- Petrovsky Stadium website with map (in English).
- British Consulate General – nearest Metro stations are CHERNYSHEVSKAYA/ ЧЕРНЫШЕВСКАЯ (Red line) and VOSSTANIYA – MAYAKOVSKAYA/ ВОССТАНИЯ – МАЯКОВСКАЯ (Red line – Green line).
- Pulkovo International (Pulkovo-2) Airport – is served by bus line No 13 and mini bus lines No K13 and K213 from MOSKOVSKAYA/ МОСКОВСКАЯ (Metro – Blue line).
- Metro (underground) tokens are on sale in all Metro stations and cost 28 RUB per trip. Payment must be made in cash (card payments are not accepted).
- Bus tickets can be bought from the driver for 25 RUB per ticket on bus lines and up to 35 RUB per ticket on mini bus lines. Again payment in cash only.
- The Metro runs from 5:30 until 00:00 – 00:30 depending on the station.
- Buses run from 5:30am until 1:00am.
At the Match
- Access to the stadium can be slow. There will be body searches at the entrance to the stadium and then ticket checks at the entrance to the stand. To avoid a last minute bottleneck please try to get to the stadium early.
- Security at the stadium will be strict and uncompromising – refrain from antagonising the Police even if you believe you are in the right.
- The temperature can be very low mid-February. Dress warm! Note that Petrovsky is an old stadium with no roof and heating.
- No bottles and cans are allowed to be brought into the ground. Rules on alcohol at the stadium are strict. Drinking alcohol inside the stadium is prohibited. Stadium security will not allow entry to anyone they consider to have been drinking heavily.
- Flags and banners but without poles are allowed subject to message, language and content.
- There will be a left luggage facility for prohibited items.
- Smoking is allowed.
- Standing during the game is allowed.
- Drums and other musical instruments are permitted, but not vuvuzelas.
- There will be a 15-minute holdback for Liverpool fans who will then be escorted as a group to SPORTIVNAYA metro station.
- Tap water has to be boiled before drinking.
- As in any other city beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway stations, around the town centre and when using public transport. Only carry what you need, leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits. Pickpockets operate on the Metro and in tourist areas such as Nevsky Prospect.
- Don’t commit acts of theft: you are more likely to be locked up rather than fined or deported.
Minimise the risks
- Carry a photocopy of your passport and visa with you when out and about.
- Carry a note of the address of your hotel (in both English and Russian) – it can help people give you directions and ensure that taxi drivers know where you want to go.
- Keep the number of valuables you carry to a minimum - passport, a credit card, your phone and some money - and ensure they are secure (not in back pockets).
- Change money at a bank, hotel, or in exchange points – NOT on the street (it’s illegal).
- Carry the contact number for your travel insurer at all times.
- Carry the address and telephone number of the Consulate so you can call for help.
- Leave a copy of your passport and other important documents safe in your hotel in case you lose the originals.
- Don’t carry weapons of any sort – they will be confiscated and could get you arrested.
Drink and Drugs
- Be vigilant when drinking - pickpockets may operate in some bars.
- Don’t leave drinks unattended – drink spiking is common.
- Beware of strangers offering to buy drinks for you.
- Russia operates a zero tolerance policy on the possession and use of drugs, whether hard or soft. Penalties are severe and can result in long jail sentences.
What the British Consulate can do
- If you lose your money or are robbed, the Consulate can help you transfer funds from friends or family in the UK – BUT cannot provide you with money in any circumstances.
- If you lose your passport or have it stolen, the Consulate can provide you with an emergency travel document ETD) so that you can leave Russia and return home.
- If you are detained or arrested in St Petersburg, insist on contacting the Consulate on 320 3200 (from within St Petersburg) or +7 812 320 3200 (if calling from a UK mobile). This number is available 24 hours a day. Consulate staff can make sure you are being treated fairly – BUT if you have broken the law, they cannot arrange for you to be released from detention, nor can they pay fines.
- In the case of serious injury or illness, the Consulate can help you contact a member of your family and your travel insurance company.
British Consulate in St Petersburg
- Address: Pl. Proletarskoy Diktatury, 5, St Petersburg 191124
- Consulate website
- Consulate Switchboard: +7 812 320 3200
- International emergency number (from your mobile): 112.
- Police: 02 (from Russian public phones only).
- Ambulance: 03 (from Russian public phones only).
- Private, English-speaking ambulance: +7 812 3360003 (AMC); +7 812 3271313 (CORIS); +7 812 3336 (MEDEM)