Use the Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency (CSA)


Child maintenance is for children who are either:

  • under 16
  • under 20 and in full-time education (but not higher than A Level or equivalent)
  • under 20 and living with a parent who has registered for Child Benefit for them

There are also other situations when child maintenance payments stop.

Who can use the Child Maintenance Service

You can apply if you’re:

  • the parent the child lives with
  • the parent the child does not live with
  • a grandparent or other guardian of the child
  • a child over 12 living in Scotland

Who cannot use the service

You cannot apply if the ‘receiving’ parent and child live outside the UK.

The receiving parent has main day-to-day care of the child. The paying parent does not have main day-to-day care.

The Child Maintenance Service can only help in certain circumstances if the paying parent lives abroad.

Get help from Child Maintenance Options if you cannot use the Child Maintenance Service.