The Child Maintenance Service can ask you to:

  • give information about your employee so they can work out the right amount of child maintenance
  • set up a deduction from earnings order (DEO)
  • answer enquiries from other organisations who collect payments of child maintenance on their behalf

You may also be given an attachment of earnings order (AEO) by a court.

By law, you must:

  • give information to the Child Maintenance Service if you’re asked to
  • send payments as soon as possible, to arrive no later than the 19th day of the month following the month you made the deduction
  • tell the Child Maintenance Service immediately if there are any problems with taking payments from a paying parent’s earnings
  • make regular payments - if you do not send payments and do not explain why, you could be taken to court

The paying parent is the parent who does not have main day-to-day care of the child.

You must report a change of circumstances to the Child Maintenance Service within 10 days. For example, if:

  • an employee leaves your business
  • you’re asked to set up a deduction from earnings order (DEO) for someone who does not work for you

You can report changes online or by phone.

Use the Child Maintenance Service online

If you’ve ever managed a case through the Child Maintenance Service, you can register for the online service. The service lets you:

  • see all deductions
  • report and make changes
  • send messages
  • see important information you’ve been sent

Call the Child Maintenance Service

You can call the Child Maintenance Service if you have questions or need to report a change.

Child Maintenance Service Employer Payment Team
Telephone: 0800 232 1961
Textphone: 0800 232 1975
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges