6. Changes you need to report

Your Universal Credit may be stopped or reduced if you don’t report changes in your circumstances straight away.

Changes can include:

  • finding or finishing a job
  • a change to your address
  • a change to your banking details
  • your rent going up or down
  • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach

You don’t need to report any changes to your income unless you’re self-employed.

If you’ve been paid too much

You’ll have to repay the money if you:

  • didn’t report a change straight away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid by mistake

You could be prosecuted or fined if you give wrong or incomplete information, or you don’t report changes straight away.

You can report changes in your circumstances by:

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0345 600 0723
Textphone: 0345 600 0743
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you’re left without enough money to live on

Call the Universal Credit helpline to ask for an advance if your change in circumstances means you won’t have enough money to live on before your next payment.