Universal Credit

9. Get budgeting help

You can get help and advice with budgeting from:

You can get advice and help about renting from Shelter.

Get a Budgeting Advance

You can get a loan to help pay for emergency household costs (for example buying a new cooker) or for help getting a job or staying in work. This is called a Budgeting Advance.

You’ll repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments - they’ll be lower until you pay it back. You’ll be told how much your payments will be reduced by.

You’ll have to agree another way to repay if you stop getting Universal Credit.

What you’ll get

The smallest amount you can borrow is £100. You can get up to:

  • £348 if you’re single
  • £464 if you’re part of a couple
  • £812 if you have children

How much you can get depends on whether you:

  • can pay the loan back
  • have any savings over £1,000


To get a Budgeting Advance, you must have:

  • been getting Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for 6 months or more, unless you need the money to help you start a new job or keep an existing job
  • earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 together for couples) in the past 6 months
  • paid off any previous Budgeting Advances

How to apply

Contact your work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus to apply.