Universal Credit

5. If you're claiming other benefits

Universal Credit will replace the following:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support

If you’re already claiming benefits, your local Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will tell you when you have to move to Universal Credit.

When you move to Universal Credit

Once you’ve claimed Universal Credit, any benefits that it replaces will stop. You’ll start getting Universal Credit instead.

Your benefits may end before your Universal Credit starts. If you won’t have enough money to live on before it starts, call the helpline to ask for an advance payment. You’ll repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments - they’ll be lower until you pay it back.

Tax credits

You’ll be told by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that your tax credits will stop. You then need to end your claim.

If you have any tax credits overpayments, you still need to pay them back.

Housing Benefit and paying your rent

Universal Credit may include money towards your housing costs. You’ll have to arrange with your landlord to start paying your own rent, if you don’t do this already.

Find out details of your rent from your landlord, for example:

  • how much the rent is and how you need to pay it
  • if you need to pay any service charges or bills, for example gas and electricity

Talk to your landlord or Jobcentre Plus work coach if you think you’ll have problems paying your own rent.

If you move in with your partner who’s on Universal Credit

You’ll have to end your other benefits claims.

Your partner’s Universal Credit will become a joint claim and you’ll both have to sign new Claimant Commitments.