Report a change of circumstances

You need to report changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount each month.

Changes can include:

  • finding or finishing a job
  • having a child
  • moving in with your partner
  • starting to care for a child or disabled person
  • changing your mobile number or email address
  • moving to a new address
  • changing your bank details
  • your rent going up or down
  • changes to your health condition
  • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach
  • changes to your earnings (only if you’re self-employed)
  • changes to your savings, investments and how much money you have
  • changes to your immigration status, if you’re not a British citizen

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by signing in to your Universal Credit account.

If you get a job or increase the hours you work

Use a benefits calculator or speak with your work coach to find out how getting a job or an increase in your earnings might affect your Universal Credit claim.

If you’ve been paid too much

You may have to repay the money if you:

  • did not report a change straight away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid by mistake

Find out how to repay the money you owe from benefit overpayment.

If you have a terminal illness

You may get extra money if you’re terminally ill.

If your life expectancy is more than 6 months

You’ll need to report this in the same way as any other change of circumstance.

If your life expectancy is less than 6 months

Report the change online through your Universal Credit account. You’ll be contacted about what to do next.

You can also get someone else to report the change for you. They’ll need to ask a doctor or healthcare professional to fill in form DS1500 (the doctor will have the form already). Either the doctor or your representative can send it to:

Department for Work and Pensions
Universal Credit Full Service

If you’ve already sent form DS1500 for Personal Independence Payment or Employment and Support Allowance, you do not need to send it again.

You will not need to have a Work Capability Assessment.

  1. Step 1 Check if you're eligible

  2. Step 2 Create an account and make a claim

    You need an online account to claim Universal Credit.

    1. Set up an account and make a claim

    You must submit your claim within 28 days of creating your account.

    If you live with your partner, they will also need to set up an account. You'll be given a code to link the accounts together.

  3. and Find out how your claim is assessed

    You'll need to have an interview with Jobcentre Plus. You'll be told how to arrange this after you submit your claim. It will be within 10 working days.

    If you have a disability or health condition you may need a work capability assessment. You'll be told if you need one after you claim.

    1. What to do if you have a health condition or disability
  4. Step 3 Apply for an advance on your first payment

    If you need help with bills or other costs while you wait for your first payment, you can apply to get an advance.

    1. Get an advance on your first Universal Credit payment
    2. Check if you can get any other financial support
  5. Step 4 Get your first payment

    You’ll get your first payment 5 weeks after you claim. Your account will be updated to tell you how much it will be.

    1. What to do if you disagree with the decision
  6. Step 5 Report any change of circumstances

    You must update your account if your circumstances change to get the right payment.

    1. You are currently viewing: How to report a change in circumstances
    2. What to do if your payments are stopped