Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed

Use form SA1 to register for Self Assessment for any reason other than self-employment.

Who needs to register

How you register for Self Assessment depends on your circumstances. Use form SA1 if you need to register but you’re not self-employed.

For example, if you:

  • receive income from land and property in the UK
  • have taxable foreign income
  • have adjusted net income over £50,000 and you or your partner carry on receiving Child Benefit payments
  • have yearly income over £150,000
  • receive yearly income from a trust or settlement
  • get untaxed income that cannot be collected through your PAYE tax code
  • have Capital Gains Tax to pay

Before you start

Get all of your information together before you start. You will fill this form in online and you cannot save your progress.

When you fill in the form, you’ll need to tell us your:

  • full name
  • postal address (this can be outside of the UK)
  • date of birth
  • daytime telephone number
  • UK National Insurance number, if you have one

You will also need to explain why you need to register for Self Assessment, and the date this started.

Fill in and send the form online

You’ll need to either:

  • sign in with your Government Gateway user ID and password (if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you first try to sign in)
  • use your email address to get a confirmation code that you can use to sign in

Start now

Fill in, print and post the form

  1. Fill in form SA1.

  2. Print and post it to HMRC, using the postal address shown on the form.

This file may not be suitable if you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader). If you need a more accessible format, email and tell us what format you need. It will help if you tell us what assistive technology you use. Read the accessibility statement for HMRC forms.

After you’ve registered

We’ll usually contact you within 21 days of receiving your form but may take longer during busy periods. If we have not contacted you after 3 weeks, you can check when you can expect a reply.

Get the HMRC app

If you registered for Self Assessment online, you may be able to get your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) sooner by downloading the HMRC app or using your personal tax account.

The HMRC app is a quick and easy way to get information about your tax, National Insurance, tax credits and benefits.

Published 15 August 2023
Last updated 6 April 2024 + show all updates
  1. The yearly income threshold for the tax year 2023 to 2024 has been updated.

  2. Information about what happens after you have registered has been added.

  3. Added translation