Registering and sending a return

You need to register if you did not send a tax return last year. There are different ways to register if you’re:

If you’re new to Self Assessment, you’ll need to keep records (for example bank statements or receipts) so you can fill in your tax return correctly.

Sending your return

Once you’ve registered, you can send your tax return online or using software or paper forms. You then have to pay your bill by the deadline.

You can get help filling in your return.

Using software or paper forms

You can choose to send any Self Assessment return using software or paper forms.

You must use one of these options to send returns:

  • for a partnership
  • for a trust and estate
  • if you get income from a trust
  • if you lived abroad as a non-resident
  • if you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter

You must use a paper form if you need to send a tax return for trustees of registered pension schemes (SA970).

The deadline for paper forms is 31 October (or 31 January if you’re a trustee of a registered pension scheme or a non-resident company).