Who must send a tax return
The tax year is from 6 April to 5 April the following year.
You must send a tax return if, in the last tax year, you were:
- self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and earned more than £1,000
- a partner in a business partnership
You will not usually need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension. But you may need to send one if you have any other untaxed income, such as:
- money from renting out a property
- tips and commission
- income from savings, investments and dividends
- foreign income
Check if you need to send a tax return if you’re not sure.
Other reasons for sending a return
You can choose to fill in a tax return to:
- claim some Income Tax reliefs
- prove you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare or Maternity Allowance