Reporting your foreign income

You usually need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return if you’re a UK resident with foreign income or capital gains. But there’s some foreign income that’s taxed differently.

You do not need to fill in a tax return if all the following apply:

  • your only foreign income is dividends
  • your total dividends - including UK dividends - are less than the £500 dividend allowance
  • you have no other income to report

Different rules may apply if your permanent home (‘domicile’) is abroad.

Register for Self Assessment

If you do not usually send a tax return, you need to register by 5 October following the tax year you had the income.

You’ll get a letter telling you what to do next after you’ve registered.

Register now

Filling in your tax return

Use the ‘foreign’ section of the tax return to record your overseas income or gains.

Include income that’s already been taxed abroad to get Foreign Tax Credit Relief, if you’re eligible.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has guidance on how to report your foreign income or gains in your tax return in ‘Foreign notes’.