Consular enquiries in United Arab Emirates

Information on services provided by the British embassy and offices in United Arab Emirates including services provided by other UK government departments.

Please read the following information carefully before contacting us:

Consular services

We support British nationals in United Arab Emirates (UAE). We issue emergency travel documents if a British passport is lost or stolen and provide notarial and documentary services. Read more information on how we support British nationals abroad.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to UAE , see travel advice for UAE.

British passports

See overseas British passport applications to find out how to renew or apply for a British passport and also the contact details for Her Majesty’s Passport Office.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in the UAE. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Getting married in UAE

See getting married abroad for information.

UK Visas

Check if you need a UK visa and contact UK Visas and Immigration to find out where to direct your visa enquiry.

Legalisation services

See our guidance on getting a document legalised in the United Arab Emirates. To have your UK educational certificates legalised,follow the guidance on the British Council website.

Guidance on bringing medication into the UAE

Some prescribed and over the counter medicines that are available in the UK are considered controlled substances in the UAE and can’t be brought into the country without prior permission from the UAE Ministry of Health. If you arrive in the UAE without this permission and the required documentation, the medication will not be allowed into the UAE and you may be prosecuted under UAE law.

For further information and specific queries, contact the UAE Embassy in London to check whether your medication is on the controlled list.

You can find a list of registered and controlled medicines and details on import regulations on the UAE government website.

Register a birth or death and ordering copies of certificates

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in UAE. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates. You can order copies of British birth, death and marriage certificates online from the General Register Office.

Contact us

If you still cannot find the information online and it relates to consular assistance for British nationals you can send us an enquiry by our web form:

We aim to reply to enquiries within 10 working days. Please call us if you require urgent assistance.

Be advised email requests for support for British people overseas and general information are stored for two months, after which they are destroyed. Messages about UK visas and British passports are kept for one month.

Published 15 May 2017