We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Ukraine. Our work covers a range of issues including international security and economic reform.

We work closely with Ukrainian authorities to support the EU integration of Ukraine, and democratic developments in human rights and civic freedoms.

The UK recognised the independence of Ukraine on 31 December 1991 (the first EU country to do so). Diplomatic relations were established on 10 January 1992.The United Kingdom opened a Consulate-General in Kyiv in November 1991. This became an Embassy in January 1992. Since then, relations between the UK and Ukraine have become increasingly close at both bilateral and multilateral levels.

We support bilateral trade links between UK and Ukraine, provide consular support for British nationals in Ukraine and pursue broad-ranging and productive bilateral security cooperation work.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Ukraine and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +380 44 490 3660. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Ukraine call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Kyiv.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Ukraine, see travel advice for Ukraine.

Get a visa

The British Embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.. For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

Marriage and civil partnerships

Marriage in Ukraine could be registered at the local Civil Registry Office or Document Processing Centre. Please contact the authorities to obtain further information on local procedures and requirements. There is no need to obtain a certificate of no impediment from the British Consulate for marriage in Ukraine.

For information on getting married in Ukraine see getting married abroad.

Surrogacy overseas

Information for British nationals who are considering entering into surrogacy arrangements in foreign countries.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Ukraine. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Ukraine and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement information for Ukraine.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Ukraine. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; make a certified copy of a document and witness a signature. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The consulate does not provide legalisation services. Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Ukraine. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.


We cannot meet the costs of losses you might incur overseas, for example, medical expenses, loss of belongings, replacement of passport, travelling back to the UK. We strongly advise to take out adequate travel insurance before travelling, whether you are travelling independently, as part of a package holiday, or just to visit family and friends. Please visit the FCO travel advice pages for more information and guidance.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf
  • ensure your safety and security in another country (this is the responsibility of the government and authorities of that country)

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Ukraine

Our people

Judith Gough

Judith Gough

British Ambassador to Ukraine

Contact us

British Embassy Kyiv

9, Desyatynna St.

Access and opening times

British Consulate Kyiv

British Consulate Kyiv
9, Desyatynna St.

Access and opening times

Department of International Trade Kyiv

Department of International Trade Kyiv
9, Desyatynna St.

Access and opening times

British Embassy Defence Section

British Embassy Defence Section
9, Desyatynna St.

Access and opening times