Guidance on support available to Ukrainian nationals and their family members.
You must not travel to the UK before you have a visa or a letter from the Home Office giving you permission to enter.
If you have family in the UK
The Ukraine Family Scheme enables you to come to the UK or to stay longer if you’re a family member of:
- a British citizen
- someone with permission to settle in the UK, for example they have indefinite leave to remain or EU settled or pre-settled status
- someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
It is free to apply.
You’ll be able to live, work, study and claim benefits in the UK.
If you do not have family in the UK
You can apply to come to the UK if you have a named sponsor or on any other existing visa you’re eligible to apply for.
Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine)
If you do not have family in the UK, you can apply for the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme.
The scheme enables people and organisations in the UK (sponsors) to bring Ukrainians and their family members to the UK under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.
If you have a sponsor you can:
- come to the UK for up to 3 years
- work in the UK
- access public services and claim benefits
Other visas you can apply for
You can make an application to visit, work, study or join family in the UK. Check which visas are available.
Proving your identity
You’ll need to book an appointment to have your photo and fingerprints taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
Children under 5 will not have their fingerprints taken. They still need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to have their photo taken.
At your appointment, you’ll need to prove your identity with any identity documents you may have, such as:
- a valid passport
- a Ukrainian national identity card
- a combination of official documents – for example, a photo driving licence and birth certificate
- an emergency certificate issued by a Ukrainian authority since March 2022
For more information, including opening hours and appointment booking, visit the TLS website.
If your appointment is at the visa application centre in Kyiv
If your application is successful, you’ll need to travel to the visa application centre in Warsaw with a valid international passport to collect your visa vignette.
If your appointment is at a different visa application centre
You’ll need to collect your visa vignette at the same visa application centre.
If you’re already in the UK on a visa
If you’re Ukrainian you’ll be able to stay longer. You can apply:
- to the Ukraine Extension Scheme
- to extend your current visa
- to switch to a different visa
Ukraine Extension Scheme
You can apply to the Ukraine Extension Scheme if you’re Ukrainian or you have a Ukrainian family member.
You can apply for this scheme if one of the following is true:
- you held permission to be in the UK on or between 18 March 2022 and 16 November 2023 – the permission does not need to cover the whole period
- you previously held permission to be in the UK and that permission expired on or after 1 January 2022
You can apply to the Ukraine Extension Scheme for your child born in the UK if one of the following is true:
- you have permission to be in the UK under one of the Ukraine schemes
- you are applying to the Ukraine Family Scheme or the Ukraine Extension Scheme
Read more information about applying to the Ukraine Extension Scheme.
Extend your visa or switch to a different visa
If you’re Ukrainian, you can also stay in the UK by extending your current visa or switching to another one if you meet the eligibility requirements. You can extend or switch even if your current visa does not usually let you do this.
If you have a Ukrainian family member, you can apply to extend your current visa or switch to another one if your visa allows that.
If you’re travelling with pets
Read guidance on bringing pets to the UK from Ukraine.
Contact UK Visas and Immigration
You can phone the free Ukraine helpline if you need help:
Telephone: + 44 808 164 8810
Telephone: +44 (0)175 390 7510 (if you cannot contact UK 0808 numbers)
- Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
- Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Closed on bank holidays.