How you register for Self Assessment depends on your circumstances. Use form SA1 if you need to register but you’re not self-employed. For example, if you:
- become a company director
- receive income from land and property in the UK
- have taxable foreign income of more than £300 a year
- receive yearly income from a trust or settlement
- sell shares, property or other assets liable to Capital Gains
- have yearly income over £100,000
- get untaxed income that can’t be collected through your PAYE tax code
- have income over £50,000 and you or your partner carry on receiving Child Benefit payments
- have Capital Gains Tax to pay
Before you start
If you are using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.
64-8: authorising your agent
Use form 64-8 to authorise HMRC to communicate with your tax representative about your tax affairs.