Self Assessment: register for Self Assessment and get a tax return (SA1)
Use form SA1 if you need to register for Self Assessment for a reason other than self employment.
Ref: SA1 https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/SA1?dept-name=&sub-dept-name=&location=43&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk
Ref: SA1 https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/SA_iForms/1.0/SA1&template=SA1.xdp
How you register for Self Assessment depends on your circumstances. Use form SA1 if you need to register but aren’t self employed. For example, if you:
- become a company director
- receive income from land and property in the UK
- have taxable foreign income of more than £300 a year
- receive yearly income from a trust or settlement
- sell shares, property or other assets liable to Capital Gains
- have yearly income over £100,000
- get untaxed income that can’t be collected through your PAYE tax code
- have income over £50,000 and you or your partner carry on receiving Child Benefit payments
- have Capital Gains Tax to pay
Before you start
If you are using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so we suggest you gather all your information together before you begin to fill it in.
Related forms and guidance
64-8: authorising your agent
Use form 64-8 to authorise HMRC to communicate with your tax representative about your tax affairs.