Register for Self Assessment

Register for Self Assessment for any reason other than self-employment.


Register for Self Assessment and get a tax return: fill in and send (SA1)

Register for Self Assessment and get a tax return: fill in, print and post (SA1)


How you register for Self Assessment depends on your circumstances. Use form SA1 if you need to register but you’re not self-employed. For example, if you:

  • become a company director
  • receive income from land and property in the UK
  • have taxable foreign income of more than £300 a year
  • receive yearly income from a trust or settlement
  • sell shares, property or other assets liable to Capital Gains
  • have yearly income over £100,000
  • get untaxed income that can’t be collected through your PAYE tax code
  • have income over £50,000 and you or your partner carry on receiving Child Benefit payments
  • have Capital Gains Tax to pay

Before you start

If you are using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

64-8: authorising your agent
Use form 64-8 to authorise HMRC to communicate with your tax representative about your tax affairs.

Published 1 July 2014