Universal Credit: help with managing your money
This guide gives details on how Universal Credit is paid and the budgeting support available through DWP and other organisations.
This guide gives information about how Universal Credit is paid, what people can do to help themselves prepare for Universal Credit and the support available through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It also includes links to the websites of other organisations that can provide free and independent budgeting support and advice.
If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit you may be able get an advance on your Universal Credit payment if you’ve recently been receiving another benefit or you’re in urgent financial need. Check with your work coach.
Part of the Universal Credit toolkit for partner organisations.
Published: 24 November 2014
Updated: 6 February 2017
- Added information and link to Money Advice Service money manager.
- Amended leaflets to reflect all changes to Universal Credit from April 2016.
- Revised PDF (version June 2015) includes updated list of organisations that can provide budgeting support.
- Added information about getting an advance on a Universal Credit payment when making a new claim.
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- First published.