Armed forces compensation: a guide
- Ministry of Defence
- Part of:
- Armed forces compensation, Support services for military and defence personnel and their families, and Support services for veterans and their families
- First published:
- 27 November 2013
- Last updated:
- 14 February 2017, see all updates
Information about compensation schemes for UK serving and former serving personnel injured as a result of their service in the armed forces.
There are a number of compensation schemes available to UK serving and former serving personnel who are injured as a result of their service in the armed forces. The scheme that applies to each individual will depend on when and where you served.
The guidance provides information on the following schemes:
- The armed forces compensation scheme (AFCS)
You can claim under the AFCS where the illness or injury was caused as a result of service on or after 6 April 2005. You do not need to have left the armed forces before claiming.
- The war pensions scheme (WPS)
You can claim under the WPS if you are no longer serving and your disablement was caused as a result of service in the armed forces before 6 April 2005.
- The criminal injuries compensation (overseas) (CIC(O)) scheme
You can claim under the criminal injuries compensation (overseas) scheme if you or your eligible dependants are the innocent victim of a crime of violence while serving overseas.
Published: 27 November 2013
Updated: 14 February 2017
- DLA mobility and DLA care outdated now combined in Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- Replaced leaflet 1 with the latest version
- Link to War Pension Scheme guidance included
- Deleted incorrect leaflets
- Replaced leaflet 2 with the latest edition
- Added link to FAQs on the Armed Forces Independence Payment.
- Updated the AFIP rates on the What you need to know guidance page.
- Added revised leaflets 5 and 9.
- Updated Guaranteed Income Payments (GIPs) section.
- Updated link to current version of faster payments form
- Added War pension leaflets.
- Textual changes to telephone number and SPVA to Veterans UK.
- First published.