Self-employed: National Insurance


Tell HMRC if you have stopped being self-employed

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.

Find out how to tell HMRC about a change to your personal details.

You’ll need to apply for a National Insurance number if you’re moving to the UK to set up a business.


Call HMRC:

  • if you’re self-employed and have a National Insurance enquiry or need to report changes to your personal details
  • to register for National Insurance, Income Tax and VAT if you’ve recently become self-employed

You can use Relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0300 200 3100.

Contact Income Tax: general enquiries if you have a question about Class 4 National Insurance.

Before you call

This helpline may ask you some security questions. Make sure your personal details and address are up to date in your personal tax account or you could fail telephone security. If you do not have a personal tax account, you can create one before you check your details.

0300 200 3500

Outside UK:
+44 191 203 7010

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays.

You can also find out information in:

Find out about call charges