Check if you need to claim

Most people get the Winter Fuel Payment automatically if they’re eligible.

You do not need to claim if you get any of the following:

  • State Pension
  • Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Carers Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Income Support
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • awards from the War Pensions Scheme
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Industrial Death Benefit

If you do not get any of these, you need to claim if either of the following apply:

  • you’ve not got the Winter Fuel Payment before
  • you’ve deferred your State Pension since your last Winter Fuel Payment

You might need to claim if you live abroad even if you do get one of these benefits.

How to claim

You can claim Winter Fuel Payment by:

  • post - from 18 September 2023
  • phone - from 4 October 2023

There’s a different way to claim if you live abroad.

The deadline for you to make a claim for winter 2023 to 2024 is 31 March 2024.

Claim by post

Fill in a Winter Fuel Payment claim form for UK residents and send it to the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

Winter Fuel Payment Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1LR

Claim by phone

Call the Winter Fuel Payment Centre to claim by phone.

Winter Fuel Payment Centre
Email enquiry form
Telephone: 0800 731 0160
Textphone: contact Relay UK on 18001 then 0800 731 0160
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

What to prepare before you call

Before you call, you will need to know:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank or building society details
  • the date you were married or entered into a civil partnership (if appropriate)

Payments cannot be made into a National Savings and Investments (NS&I) account unless you already get other benefits paid into the account.

You’ll also need to say whether during the qualifying week of 18 to 24 September 2023 you were:

  • in hospital getting free in-patient treatment
  • in a residential care home or Ilford Park Resettlement Home
  • in prison

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.