You can get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born before 25 September 1957.
You usually need to live in the UK. In some circumstances, you might be eligible if you live abroad.
When you will not be eligible
You will not be eligible if you:
- have been in hospital getting free treatment for more than a year
- need permission to enter the UK and your granted leave says that you cannot claim public funds
- were in prison for the whole of the week of 18 to 24 September 2023
If you live in a care home
You can get Winter Fuel Payment if you live in a care home. You will not be eligible if both of the following apply:
- you get Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- you lived in a care home for the whole time from 26 June to 24 September 2023