You’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:
- you were born on or before 5 January 1953 (for winter 2015 to 2016 - this date changes every year)
- you’ll be living in the UK throughout the week of 21 to 27 September 2015
You may be able to get the payment if you live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country and you have a genuine link with the UK.
You can’t get the payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK.
When you won’t qualify
You won’t qualify if throughout the week of 21 to 27 September 2015 you:
- are in prison
- are in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks
- need permission to enter the UK and don’t qualify for help from the Department for Work and Pensions
- have lived in a care home for the previous 12 weeks or more and get Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- lived in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain
Change of circumstance
Report any change of circumstance as these can affect how much you get. For example, if the qualifying person stops getting a benefit, moves out, dies or goes into care.
Contact the office paying your benefits - their details are on any letters they sent you.
Most Winter Fuel Payments are paid automatically. Write to the office that pays your Winter Fuel Payment if you want to cancel it.