You’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:
- you were born on or before 5 January 1952 (for winter 2013 to 2014 - this date changes every year)
- you normally live in the UK throughout the week of 16 to 22 September 2013
You may still be able to get the payment if you live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and you have a genuine link with the UK.
When you don’t qualify
You don’t qualify if throughout the week of 16 to 22 September 2013 you:
- were in prison
- were in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks
- needed permission to enter the UK and didn’t qualify for help from the Department for Work and Pensions
- lived in a care home for the previous 12 weeks or more and got Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Change of circumstance
Report any change of circumstance as these can affect how much you get. For example, if the qualifying person stops getting a benefit, moves out, dies or goes into care.
Contact the office paying your benefits - their details are on any letters they sent you.
Most Winter Fuel Payments are paid automatically. Write to the office that pays your Winter Fuel Payment if you want to cancel it.