You’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:
- you were born on or before 5 July 1952 (for winter 2014 to 2015 - this date changes every year)
- you’ll be living in the UK throughout the week of 15 to 21 September 2014
You may still be able to get the payment if you live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and you have a genuine link with the UK.
When you won’t qualify
You won’t qualify if throughout the week of 15 to 21 September 2014 you:
- are in prison
- are in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks
- need permission to enter the UK and don’t qualify for help from the Department for Work and Pensions
- have lived in a care home for the previous 12 weeks or more and get Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Change of circumstance
Report any change of circumstance as these can affect how much you get. For example, if the qualifying person stops getting a benefit, moves out, dies or goes into care.
Contact the office paying your benefits - their details are on any letters they sent you.
Most Winter Fuel Payments are paid automatically. Write to the office that pays your Winter Fuel Payment if you want to cancel it.