New and used vehicles

Register a new vehicle

The dealer will usually register a brand new vehicle for you.

If the dealer will not do it, you can register the vehicle yourself.

If your vehicle is a new heavy goods vehicle (HGV), you also need to record the details of your HGV with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Register a used vehicle

The seller will usually register a used vehicle for you. They can do it online or by post.

You’ll need to register your used vehicle yourself if it does not have a vehicle log book (V5C).

You need to tax a used vehicle before you can use it on the road.

There’s a different way to register the vehicle if you’re taking it abroad including the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland.

Registering online

The seller will need to:

Registering by post

The seller will need to:

  • complete section 2 if they have a new style V5C (with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover) or section 6 if they have the older style V5C
  • sign the declaration in section 8 if they have the older style V5C (you must sign the declaration too)
  • fill in the green ‘new keeper’ slip and give it to you
  • send the V5C to DVLA

If the vehicle does not have a V5C

DVLA advises that you should not buy a vehicle that does not have a V5C.

Download form V62 and send it to DVLA to register the vehicle in your name. You’ll have to pay £25.

When you’ll get your new V5C

You’ll usually get your new V5C within 4 weeks of the vehicle being registered.

You’ll get your new V5C within 3 to 5 days if both of the following apply to your vehicle:

  • it’s a used vehicle
  • the seller registered it to you online

Checking your new V5C

When you receive your V5C, it’s your responsibility to check all the details are correct.

If anything on your V5C is wrong

Make the changes on the V5C and send it back to DVLA.

SA99 1BA

You’ll get the replacement V5C within 4 weeks.

If your new V5C has not arrived

If it’s been 4 weeks since the V5C was registered or you sent it to be corrected, contact DVLA.

Contact DVLA before 6 weeks have passed. If you have not received your V5C after 6 weeks and you have not told DVLA, you’ll have to pay £25 to get another one.

If it’s a used vehicle registered by post

There’s a different way to get another V5C sent to you. You’ll need to:

The new keeper slip needs to be from the most recent V5C. Check that the date on the slip matches the last V5C issue date on the vehicle enquiry service if you’re not sure.

If you do not send in the new keeper slip from the most recent V5C, you’ll have to pay £25.

Contact DVLA if your V5C has not arrived and it’s been 4 weeks since you sent in form V62.

  1. Step 1 Check the vehicle before you buy it

    You'll need the vehicle's registration number, make, model and MOT test number. You also need to see the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book).

    1. Check the details you've been given match DVLA's information
    2. Check the vehicle's MOT history
    3. Check if the vehicle has been recalled because of a safety issue
    4. Check the log book isn't for a stolen vehicle
  2. Step 2 Buy and register the vehicle

    Once you've bought the vehicle, you have to register it. How you register it depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (log book).

    1. You are currently viewing: Find out how to register your vehicle
    2. Get a vehicle log book if you don't have it £25
  3. and Register for MOT reminders

    You must get an MOT for your vehicle every year once it's 3 years old.

    1. Get a reminder when your MOT is due
  4. Step 3 Insure the vehicle

    You must have insurance before you can use your vehicle on the road.

    1. Check if your vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database
    2. Read about vehicle insurance
  5. Step 4 Tax the vehicle