Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.
A kit-converted vehicle has had:
- a kit of new parts added to an existing vehicle, or
- old parts added to a new kit
The general appearance of the vehicle will change because of the kit.
How to register
You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.
You’ll need to include the following with your application:
- form V627/1 - ‘Built up vehicle inspection report’
- the vehicle registration certificate for the original vehicle
- evidence of type approval, if necessary – see ‘Vehicle type approval’ below
- official receipts for any parts used
- build plans
- photographs of the vehicle
Contact DVLA if you’re not sure about what you need to provide.
Send your application to:
K and R
Keep a vehicle’s original registration number
You can apply to keep a kit converted vehicle’s original registration number if you can prove you’ve used 2 original major parts along with the original unmodified:
- chassis (car or light van)
- monocoque bodyshell (car or light van)
- frame (motorbike)
Get an age-related registration number
You can apply for an age-related number if you can prove you’ve used 2 original major parts along with:
- a new monocoque bodyshell, chassis or frame from a specialist kit manufacturer
- an altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame from the original vehicle
The registration number will be based on the age of the original vehicle.
Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get an age-related registration number.
Get a Q registration number
DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you do not meet the conditions for getting an original or age-related registration number.
Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.
Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You cannot keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.