9. Old vehicles

Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.

If you have a classic vehicle that hasn’t been taxed since 1983, it might not be registered with DVLA.

If this is the case and you want to register it, follow all the instructions for registering a vehicle for the first time.

Get your vehicle’s original registration number

You may be able to register an old vehicle under its original registration number if either:

  • it’s never been registered at DVLA
  • it has an age-related registration number

To do this, you’ll have to:

Send the forms to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BE.

After you’ve applied

DVLA will issue a V5C registration certificate and give you either:

  • the original registration number - if this happens, you won’t be allowed to transfer it or put it onto retention at a later date
  • another number appropriate to the age of the vehicle - if this is a non-suffix or prefix number, it will also be non-transferable

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.