Radically altered vehicles

Your vehicle must comply with the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.

Radically altered vehicles are vehicles that have been altered from their original specification, but are not kit conversions.

How to register

You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.

You’ll need to include the following with your application:

Contact DVLA if you’re not sure about what you need to provide.

Send your application to ‘Kits and Rebuilds’ at DVLA.

Kits and Rebuilds
SA99 1ZZ

Get a vehicle registration number

DVLA uses a points system to decide what registration number to give a radically altered vehicle.

Keep the original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Get a ‘Q’ registration number

You will not be able to keep your vehicle’s original registration number if one of the following applies:

  • it has fewer than 8 points
  • it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame
  • there’s evidence that 2 vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie ‘cut and shut’)

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a ‘Q’ prefix registration number.

Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You cannot keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.

  1. Step 1 Check the vehicle before you buy it

    You'll need the vehicle's registration number, make, model and MOT test number. You also need to see the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book).

    1. Check the details you've been given match DVLA's information
    2. Check the vehicle's MOT history
    3. Check if the vehicle has been recalled because of a safety issue
    4. Check the log book isn't for a stolen vehicle
  2. Step 2 Buy and register the vehicle

    Once you've bought the vehicle, you have to register it. How you register it depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (log book).

    1. Find out how to register your vehicle
    2. Get a vehicle log book if you don't have it £25
  3. and Register for MOT reminders

    You must get an MOT for your vehicle every year once it's 3 years old.

    1. Get a reminder when your MOT is due
  4. Step 3 Insure the vehicle

    You must have insurance before you can use your vehicle on the road.

    1. Check if your vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database
    2. Read about vehicle insurance
  5. Step 4 Tax the vehicle