Kit-built vehicles

Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.

A kit-built vehicle is one where all the parts are supplied new by the manufacturer.

How to register

You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.

You must include the following with your application:

Contact DVLA if you’re not sure about what you need to provide.

Send your application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Vehicle type approval

All kit-built vehicles have to get type approval.

Get a current registration number

You can register a kit-built car, motorcycle or tricycle with a current registration number if you can prove it’s all made from new parts supplied by the manufacturer.

You can also get a current registration number for a kit-built car, motorbike or tricycle built with one reconditioned part if:

  • you can show that the part has been reconditioned to an ‘as new’ standard, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines
  • the part is not the chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame

Get a Q registration number

DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you do not meet the conditions for getting a current registration number.

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.

  1. Step 1 Check the vehicle before you buy it

    You'll need the vehicle's registration number, make, model and MOT test number. You also need to see the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book).

    1. Check the details you've been given match DVLA's information
    2. Check the vehicle's MOT history
    3. Check if the vehicle has been recalled because of a safety issue
    4. Check the log book isn't for a stolen vehicle
  2. Step 2 Buy and register the vehicle

    Once you've bought the vehicle, you have to register it. How you register it depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (log book).

    1. Find out how to register your vehicle
    2. Get a vehicle log book if you don't have it £25
  3. Step 3 Insure the vehicle

    You must have insurance before you can use your vehicle on the road.

    1. Check if your vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database
    2. Read about vehicle insurance
  4. Step 4 Tax the vehicle