Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.
How to register
You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.
You must include the following with your application:
- form V627/1 - ‘Built up vehicle inspection report’
- evidence of type approval, if necessary
- the vehicle registration certificate for the original vehicle
- official receipts for any parts used
- photographs of the vehicle
Contact DVLA if you’re not sure about what you need to provide.
Send your application to:
K and R
Vehicle type approval
You’ll have to get type approval if your vehicle doesn’t qualify to keep its original registration number.
Keep a vehicle’s original registration number
A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:
- the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
- a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
- the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
- a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.
For cars or light vans:
- suspension (front and back)
- steering assembly
- axles (both)
- gear box
Get a Q registration number
DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you don’t meet the conditions for keeping the original registration number.
Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.
Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You can’t keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.
Step 1 Check the vehicle before you buy it
You'll need the vehicle's registration number, make, model and MOT test number. You also need to see the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book).
Step 2 Buy and register the vehicle
Step 3 Insure the vehicle
You must have insurance before you can use your vehicle on the road.
Step 4 Tax the vehicle
You need to tax the vehicle before you can use it on the road.