Rebuilt vehicles

Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.

How to register

You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.

You must include the following with your application:

Contact DVLA if you’re not sure about what you need to provide.

Send your application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Vehicle type approval

You’ll have to get type approval if your vehicle does not qualify to keep its original registration number.

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

  • the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
  • the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
  • a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

  • suspension (front and back)
  • steering assembly
  • axles (both)
  • transmission
  • engine

For motorbikes:

  • forks
  • wheels
  • engine
  • gear box

Get a Q registration number

DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you do not meet the conditions for keeping the original registration number.

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.

Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You cannot keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.

  1. Step 1 Check the vehicle before you buy it

    You'll need the vehicle's registration number, make, model and MOT test number. You also need to see the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book).

    1. Check the details you've been given match DVLA's information
    2. Check the vehicle's MOT history
    3. Check if the vehicle has been recalled because of a safety issue
    4. Check the log book isn't for a stolen vehicle
  2. Step 2 Buy and register the vehicle

    Once you've bought the vehicle, you have to register it. How you register it depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (log book).

    1. Find out how to register your vehicle
    2. Get a vehicle log book if you don't have it £25
  3. Step 3 Insure the vehicle

    You must have insurance before you can use your vehicle on the road.

    1. Check if your vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database
    2. Read about vehicle insurance
  4. Step 4 Tax the vehicle