8. Appeal a decision

You can appeal a decision about:

  • your initial claim
  • the amount of an award
  • a sanction

Ask for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ of the decision. You need to do this within 1 month of the decision.

You’ll get a letter saying whether the decision’s been changed.

If you don’t agree with what the letter says, you can usually appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal. The letter will say if you can’t do this.