Apply as a child
You may be eligible to settle in the UK if at least one of your parents is settled.
You were born in the UK
You’ll get the same permission to stay as your parent if you were born in the UK. You can either:
- be added to your parent’s next application as a dependant
- apply separately
To apply separately, you’ll need to know what kind of permission your parent has to stay in the UK (‘limited leave to remain’).
You were born outside the UK
Whether you can apply depends on your age and how your parent applied.
If you’re under 18
- not be married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
- be financially supported without claiming public funds
One of your parents must also be applying or have applied for a visa or to extend their permission to stay as a:
- partner - and the partner they’re joining is your other parent
- parent - and they have sole parental responsibility for you
Otherwise, you might still be eligible to apply if there are serious reasons to let you come to, or stay in the UK and there are plans for your care.
If you’re over 18
Your parent can include you in their application as a dependant, or you can apply separately yourself. You can only apply if:
- you got permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’) on a family visa when you were under 18
- you do not live an independent life
You’re living an independent life if, for example, you’ve left home, got married and had children.
If your parent cannot include you in their form and you’re in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for Private Life in the UK (10-year route).
How to apply
You’ll need to prepare information and send documents with your application.
How you apply depends on whether you’re outside or in the UK.
Outside the UK
There’s a different way to apply in North Korea.
In the UK
If you’re already in the UK, you must apply online.
Fill in the online fee waiver request form as well if you cannot pay the fee because you:
- do not have a place to live and you cannot afford one
- have a place to live but cannot afford your essential living costs like food or heating
- have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing
You can also check if you’re eligible for a different type of visa.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made