Information you must provide

You’ll need to have information and some evidence ready when you make your application. Include information for you and any dependants applying at the same time.

You’ll need to provide:

  • all your names
  • your date of birth
  • your current passport or other valid travel ID
  • copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
  • a copy of your biometric residence permit, if you have one
  • details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made
  • details of any criminal convictions
  • your national insurance number, if you have one
  • your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you’re applying from outside the UK
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a certified translation of any document that is not in English or Welsh

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa if you’re applying outside the UK.

You’ll need an email address to make an online application.

You’ll also need to:

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances - for example a sponsorship form from your family member in the UK.

You’ll be told how to provide your documents when you apply.

If you’re unable to provide specified documents because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you might still be able to apply. Read the guidance for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents.

Your partner’s details

If you have a partner, you’ll be asked about their:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • nationality
  • passport
  • right to be in the UK, for example they’re a British citizen

You’ll also need to give details of:

  • any people your partner was previously married to, in a civil partnership with or had children with
  • evidence of marriages ending, for example a divorce certificate
  • anyone your partner supports with money, for example their parents

Proof of relationship

If you’re applying as a spouse or partner, you’ll be asked about:

  • your relationship with your partner, for example how you met and how often you see each other
  • how long you’ve lived together - you’ll need to provide proof like council tax bills
  • things you pay for together
  • whether you’re your partner’s carer

Your previous partners

You’ll need to include details of anyone you previously married or had children with. Include evidence of marriages ending, for example a divorce certificate.


You’ll need to give details of your children (and your partner’s children if you have one). You’ll be asked about all children, even if they’re not applying.

You’ll need to give details of:

  • their name
  • their nationality
  • their date of birth
  • their passport details
  • who the child normally lives with
  • any other people with parental responsibility for your child, for example your step children’s other parents
  • how you’re involved in their day to day life
  • arrangements you have to see the child - for example the courts have granted you access
  • the child’s extended family
  • any countries your child has visited or lived in

Your life outside the UK

You’ll need to give details of:

  • countries outside the UK you’ve lived in and visited
  • family and friends in the countries where you were born or have nationality