You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
- you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
- you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
It costs £93 to apply.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
What you can and can’t do
- marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival - you must use a venue licensed for this purpose
- pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)
- get public funds
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- extend your visa or switch to another visa
- work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings
- study for more than 30 days - studying can’t be the main reason for your visit